Saturday, August 8, 2009

Date Night Movie Review #1 - Blindness


My husband and I are big time movie buffs. It's something we enjoy to do together, and it is a way for us to connect as a couple again after spending all day being parents. Sunday is family day, but Friday night is movie night (at the very least - we watch a LOT of movies). With out it, we usually get caught up with our own stuff and tend to neglect each other. Every couple needs that little get-a-way, and I highly recommend movie night.


So, sit back, grab your honey and the pop corn and check out this week's movie...

Starring Julianne Moore & Mark Ruffalo

Synopsis: A city is ravaged by an epidemic of instant "white blindness". Those first afflicted are quarantined by the authorities in an abandoned mental hospital where the newly created "society of the blind" quickly breaks down. Criminals and the physically powerful prey upon the weak, hording the meager food rations and committing horrific acts. There is however one eyewitness to the nightmare. A woman whose sight is unaffected by the plague follows her afflicted husband to quarantine. There, keeping her sight a secret, she guides seven strangers who have become, in essence, a family. She leads them out of quarantine and onto the ravaged streets of the city, which has seen all vestiges of civilization crumble.

----------

This movie is a hard pill to swallow. It is dark, depressing and very disturbing. But that's how I like my movies! I am all for the atypical flick. Don't get me wrong, there were several parts that made my stomach turn and left me a little shaken; but to me, that's sign of a really good movie. It's a very unusual story that has a small beginning and a small ending. There aren't really any major plot points, or big revelations - which is why C didn't like it. He wanted to know why, but they never say. But the story in itself was solid, and not something that one sees every day. Again, if you are of the faint-hearted variety, I wouldn't recommend watching it. But for those cinophiles with an adventurous spirit - watch it, discuss it (my favorite part of the movie experience), and relish in the thought of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment