Monday, January 25, 2010

A Conversation

As we were driving to dinner last night, M was in the back singing the ABC's in her sweet little baby babble. Wistfully, I said to C,

"I wish we could freeze her so she will stay cute forever."

"She will be...she's our little girl," he replied.

"No. She will grow up into a bratty know-it-all teenager. And that is not cute."

"Well, we will just have to give her sedatives."

I laughed so hard, my face hurt. Of course I would never, ever do that to my child. But it made me think of the inevitable fact that all teenagers are rebellious in some way. Even the good ones - and I was one of the good ones. Not until I had reached legal age, did I commit my acts of social rebellion.

I want to preserve the memory of my sweet little girl forever. Especially for those days when she is screaming at me because I wont let her go out with "Derek with a mustache and a mustang." That way, I can look at her and see my daughter who I love more than the air I breathe, not some bratty know-it-all teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment