Tuesday, May 25, 2010

There's No Place Like Home



When I was 15, I came to Austin for Debate Camp and spent a wonderful two weeks here. I instantly fell in love. Never had I experienced such a place; so alive with creativity. I swore to myself that I would someday leave my small suburban hometown and move to this magical city.

12 years later I was finally able to move. On my own and free, I packed up my car with the few things I had and left the only home I had ever known.

That was three years ago, (June 3rd to be exact). It's incredible and amazing and little scary how one decision can effect your life so drastically. Because of my decision to move to Austin (basically, with nothing), I reconnected with the most amazing man I have ever met, and started a life with him. I got pregnant and had our wonderful daughter, who truly made my life whole and filled my heart with so much love. We bought our first house, and have settled into a great neighborhood. I have met some awesome and inspiring people, that have pushed me to find and use the creativity that I knew was buried deep inside.

If I knew how much everything would change by simply moving to a place I fell in love with so long ago, I would have done it a lot sooner. But I can say with the utmost sincerity, that I am the happiest I have ever been and it's all because I took a chance and followed my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Great story! I feel the same way about Austin...I have no idea why it took me so long to get here! But thank God we made it, huh? :-D

    ReplyDelete